RenderMan version 23 is an exciting release that delivers a redesigned core for interactive rendering of shaders, lights, and geometry, as well as new studio tools which provide cutting-edge pipeline groundwork.
Not only does Pixar use RenderMan for their own feature films, but RenderMan is used throughout the industry for rendering Visual Effects and animation, making scalability and versatility one of its core strengths. Now you can get out-of-box production tools straight from Pixar Animation Studios, including materials and light transport ... no development required!
- Light Baking – Bake your lighting to 2D texture maps or Point Clouds.
- USD Hydra Rendering – Render directly to Hydra via hdPrman.
- OpenVDB Updated - New support for OpenVDB 5.2.
- VFX Reference Platform 2018 - All plugins are now updated to the new standard, including gcc6.3 and C++14.
- Shading Call Access – Path Traced SSS is now available via the Rix interfaces so that anyone writing their own BxDF can call it.
- Artist Tools – Version 23 adds more artist-focused workflow improvements in RenderMan plugins for Autodesk Maya, Foundry Katana, and Sidefx Houdini - further extending the major upgrades to these tools in version 22.
- Stability and Power – Under the covers, version 23 has been focused on improvements to RenderMan core technology, compiler platforms, and extensions to components that affect user experience and APIs that external developers use to provide rich custom integrations.
What we think about RenderMan
Richard Seanor, Technical Application Specialist